Sunday, July 1, 2012

Williams Selyem Wine Vertical & Dinner

Saturday, June 16, 2012

There were 12 of us tonight to taste a 10 year vertical, 2001 to 2010, of Williams Selyem Russian River Pinot Noir.  Most people brought some type of food dish and several people joined forces and cooked the main dishes.  I brought the 2006 and 2007 years of this vertical.

There were also two magnums of Williams Selyem Weir Vineyards Pinot Noir, a 2000 & 2002. These magnums did not get opened as there were plenty of wine to go around. Being saved for another get together.

We started off with a couple of bottles of 2008 Schramsberg Blanc de Blanc Champagne and appetizers.  The appetizers were enough for a meal. After a plate of them I had no room for dinner.

A black olive tapenade was excellent along with vegetable Samosa's. I brought a wild mushroom, cream cheese pate which naturally pairs well with Pinot. A Borscht soup was served. Somehow I missed that. Rounding out the appetizers were Kettle chips in 2 flavors, 4 cheeses, cashews, fresh pineapple, fresh bluberries and goose pate.

Dinner consisted of grilled Copper River salmon with 3 different sauces, Paella, Lamb Stew, country style potatoes, Haricot Verts and wild mushrooms, broccoli wih vinaigrette & pine nuts.

I took a small potion of the salmon and some Paella. I was full from appetizers and could not each much.Unfortunaely for the dinner portion I will say that some of the dishes were not done well. The salmon was put in a chafing dish to keep warm. But it was put in without any liquids and it dried out. Even putting a Buerre Rouge sauce on it did not help it.

The dish labled Spanish Paella was more like Spanish Rice with additions. The chicken, shrimp & chorizo sausage was cooked separetly and you added what you want to your rice. This was the furtherest thing from Paella I have ever had. I know they took a long time and a lot of effort to make this dish was it was by no means a "Paella". I am glad I took a small portion.

I cannot comment of the Lamb stew, potatoes, green beans or broccoli because I did not put any on my plate.

Dessert was a Chocolate Truffle Cheesecake that was brought by another guest. It was excellent. This was served with a Krohn 30 year Tawny Port. I ate the cheesecake and then got a few pices of cheese to eat along with the port.  I am not an advocate of sweet on sweet. I prefer my dessert wines to be eaten with something savory.

Compaany was good and the wines excellent. It is such a shame with the effort that was put into this dinner that the results were so mediorce.

No comments: