Sunday, September 11, 2011

Pasta & No Corkage

Sunday, September 11, 2011

Spaghettini's in Seal Beach is running a  special on Sunday night.     Half off their pasta dishes, no corkage or 50% of their wine list up to $100.

Eight of us decided to try this. Turned out much better than expected and we will be going  back.

7 of us ordered the pasta dishes and one ordered halibut. No complaints were heard. I had the pasta shells with seafood and a chardonnay cream sauce. Loaded with seafood and 3 very large scallops.Excellent dish.  It went well with my 2008 Clos Pepe Chardonnay. I ate half and boxed it up for dinner on Monday night. I also had a side of spinach, artichoke heats and olives. GOOD.

I  ordered a cheese plate for dessert since I brought a Port. Plate was brought out and had a whole wheel of Brie cut in half with honey drizzled on it. Who wants to eat all of the same kind of cheese. Cheese plates are supposed to have variety. After discussions with the waiter on what a cheese plate should be I finally ended up with a plate with 3 cheeses, nuts, dried fruits and toast.  They serve Maytag blue cheese with their salads so  I cannot understand why it was not on the plate. The website indicated honeycomb. I got drizzled honey - not the same.. A restaurant of this caliber and the do not know how to make a cheese plate. The first plate out was ridiculous.

Wines were really good tonight. NV Pommery Brut,  NV Francois Chidaine Montlouis Sur Loire Brut, 2008 Clos Pepe Chardonnay, 2009 Palmini Arneis, 2009 Patricia Greene Aita Pinot Noir, 2005 Parris Sangiovese, 2006 Villa de Ceggialno Chianti Classico Reserva, 2006 Coro  Graniano, 2008 Huber Dornfelder Hafen (port), a white dessert wine that did not get on my list. I must have missed some wines because the count does not add to the people. I brought 3 wines. Paul & Margie brought at least 2, maybe 3. There was a Sauvignon Blanc on the table but I did not get the information on it.

This was a good dinner for the price. With no corkage it made it great. This is a definite go back to on Sunday night. A little noisy even in the back room where we were. Seated at a long table so it was hard to have conversation with other than the ones on both sides and across from you.  This might be a better place for 6 people not 8. We did have a good time and everyone was impressed with what we got for the money.

No comments: