Saturday, February 26, 2011

Monthy Wino's Gathering

Sunday, February 20, 2011

The monthly group of winos ascended on my "Casa" today. My theme was Wines Rated 93 to 100. This always brings out a mixed bag of wines. But always good. They do not necessarily have to be expensive to get a good rating. There were several bottles that were in the $20 range.

With all gatherings this is a pot lock. I made the main dish, this year was chili. Everyone brings a dish of some type and you hope for a variety. Last month there was an abundance of desserts, so this month everyone went the other route. If it had not been for Patte bringing a birthday cake for William there was only 1 other dessert brought. Edie brought an appetizer of Filo pastry cups filled with brie cheese and candied nuts. Excellent. It went fast We do have a group of "gluttons" I think.

The weather was cold which made it great for having the wines outside on the patio. Managed to get through most of the event without too many red wine spots on my white couch until later in the evening after everyone was gone Ted knocked over his glass so I will be washing all my white slipcovers.

An interesting set of wine showed up. a 2008, 2005 and 2004 Schild Barossa Syrah. Big difference in the taste between the years. A 1995 Simi Reserve Cabernet was still drinking nicely. The 2006 Saxum Broken Stones disappeared fast. All the wines were good but a few were better than others. 27 wines total. Everything from Brut Rose to Royal Tokaj

The nice thing about hosting is you get to keep the bottles of wine that are left. So for 2 days I could enjoy several glasses of different wine in the evening. Sometimes I enjoy that more.

No comments: