Thursday, August 23, 2007

Pine Ridge Winery Dinner

Wednesday, August 22, 2007

A Pine Ridge Winery dinner was held at Z'Mario Restaurant in Irvine, http://www.myzmario.com/, This used to be the Chanteclair Restaurant. Dinner was held in a separate room from the regular dining area. There were approximately 25 people in attendance and the table was set up in a "U" fashion which made for good conversation with several people.

Dinner was scheduled to start at 6:30. I arrived abut 6:05. We were allowed to enter the dining area at approximately 6:20. It was a little strange to have bread & butter plates but no bread. I would have thought that they would have provided that while you were waiting for the dinner to begin. Bread is relatively cheap. At around 6:50 the wine rep started pouring the first wine. A 2006 Chenin Blanc Viognier blend. This was really a very clear crisp wine with a slight sweet taste at the end. They did pour a second glass of this wine when the appetizer arrived at 7:05. I personally find that 35 minutes after the supposed start of the dinner the first food arrives unacceptable, especially when we had no bread or crackers. I can give 15 minutes leeway but 35 minutes is too long.

The appetizer was a very nice crab cake with a beurre blanc saffron sauce, It was topped with a butterflied shrimp which I found to be totally tasteless. No flavor at all. I do not know if it was a frozen shrimp or farm raised but they could have left it off the crab cake for what it added to the dish.

Next course as Macadamia Crusted Mahi Mahi with baby vegetables and garlic mashed potatoes and a small clam. This was an extremely good dish. It was paired with 2005 "Dijon Clones" Chardonnay which saw 9 months in French oak. It was still a tad to oaky for my palate. Others raved about it.

The lamb chops were served with a port reduction sauce and they were nicely seasoned. They were cooked just right for me. Rare. They chops were good but I have had better quality meat so I am spoiled. This was served with a 2004 "Crimson Creek" Merlot. This was a very "BIG" merlot. Bold and Big. It did open up after having swirled it for several minutes. This wine may have been better served, decanted. It was a very good combination.

The main course was an Angus Filet Mignon with a green peppercorn sauce and served with polenta and baby vegetables. The meat was cooked to just past rare and was very tender and had good flavor. The wine with this dish was 2003 Stags Leap District Cabernet Sauvignon. Again a very good combination.

Dessert was a "Chocolate brownie filled with raspberry sauce, chocolate ice cream canelle and fresh berries. The menu indicated whipped cream and nuts but I didn't see or taste them at all. The 2004 Rutherford Cabernet Sauvignon was served with this dish.

Big difference in the Stags Leap and the Rutherford Cab. Interesting to taste both of them at the same time.

For the most part this was a very nice dinner aside from a couple of "faux paux's". Well worth the money. If I was managing this restaurant I would have some way of putting up drapes over the french doors that look out onto the bar area. Even if there was a temporary way of hooking them onto the doors. Not only was the noise from the bar noticeable but you could see the bar lights through the glass. I was sitting on the inside of the "U" and had a full view of the bar. It was at times a little distracting. Drapes would have blocked some of the noise and all of the lights. When I "dine", I do like quiet. If I want noise I can "eat" at a chain restaurant.

The food was good and the wines were excellent and the company was great. Makes for a very pleasant evening. I would dine at this establishment again.

No comments: