Monday, August 20, 2007

Monthy Wine Soriree

Sunday, August 19, 2007

This was our monthly meeting of "the winos". As the host always selects the theme, and today's was Zinfandels and Pinot Noir based Rose Sparklings & Champagnes. 20 bottles were opened for consumption.

There were only 3 bubblies today, which was unfortunate as the temperature was "arising".

Personally I cannot handle red wine in the heat unless I'm in a very cool air-conditioned environment.

I tasted all the bubblies and about 6 of the Zinfandels. I took about a 3/4 ounce pour on the reds which was all I could handle. Even drinking copious amounts of water could not rid me of the headache I acquired. Which is too bad as I would have like to tasted several of the zin's that I was not familiar with.

I did taste the older zins that were brought. It is always interesting to taste older wines and see what they were in the past. There was a 1990 Gallo, Frei Ranch and a 1991 Segehsio Sonoma. The old zins lose their "zinnest" and start to take on the caricature of Cabernets. That's why most people enjoy Zinfandels that are young.

As always the food that was brought was good and there was a lot of it to choose from.

I left about 7:00 and the temperature was starting to cool down to a comfort zone. Maybe we should have started this soiree at 7:00 instead of 3:00

No comments: