Tuesday, April 12, 2022

Margie's Monthly Dinner at Prime Cut

 Saturday, April 9, 2022

14 of us tonight for the April edition of dinner. Tonight it is at Prime Cut in Orange. Known for their Prime Rib and Steaks, They have a private room off the dining area which we always have our dinners in. Makes it nice and the noise level is better than sitting in the main dining hall.

I decided to go out of the box and order the Beef Bourgogne. It is supposed to be Julia Child's original recipe.  The liquid part of the dish was very good. Great, deep flavors. I could have sopped it up with bread if there had been any left. The bread hogs were at it. I did have mashed potatoes to help it along.  But the meat itself was very dry and stringy. Big disappointment.

I split an appetizer of Frito Misto which was very good. Very light touch on the batter and frying.

Had the Creme Brulee for dessert. It is always light so it is a go to for me. Do not like heavy, overly sweet or rich dishes after a meal. 

Since I knew beforehand that I was having the beef bourgogne I decided to bring a 2012 Roar, Rosella's Vineyard Pinot Noir.  Even though I had decanted it for a few hours it was tight went I first poured it. But after about an hour it really opened up. Not a drop left in the bottle at the end of dinner. People seemed to really enjoy it especially one of the female diners. She thought is was so delicious.  Not all the wines were passed down the table. It is difficult to get up and walk around the table and look at the bottles to decide what you want to try.  Especially in a tight room and with mobility issues. I only look at the list of wines the next day when I type them up for everyone. Then I am surprised at what was brought and I had  not seen  on the table.

2017 Denner, Dirt Worshipper - did not taste

2017 Castoro, Due Mila Quattordici - did not taste

2016 Firestone, Petit Verdot - did not taste

2017 Firestone, Gewurztraminer - did not taste

NV Marie Forget, Premier Cru, Extra Brut, Champagne - interesting

2017 J. Bucher RRV, unoaked Chardonnay - did not taste

2015 Ridge, Monte Bello - did not taste

NV Fess Parker, Traditions, Port Style Red - nice for a sweet wine, not overly complicated

NV Domanie Caneros Brut Rose - did not taste

2019 Paul Hobbs, Goldbrook, Pinot Noir - Did not taste

2020 Daou, Rose - did not taste

2018 Dewitt Vineyards, Barbera - liked this one

2007 Le Vigne Domenico, Cabernet Sauvignon - did not taste

2011 Redmon, Red Wine Blend - nice, really liked it

2002 J.Lohr, Grenache Rose - nice and light

NV Louis de Sacy, Rose Champagne - nice and bright

2005 McKeon Phillips, BPR, Cabernet Sauvignon - showed it's age. A bit flat but still had something going for it



No comments: