Wednesday, September 1, 2021

San Felice Wines at Sebastianni's Italian Bistro

Tuesday,. August 31, 2021

A large group tonight for a mid week wine dinner at Sebastianni's. This restaurant attracts a lot of locals and has a big local following.  Not quite sold out but a good showing. I think a bit overpriced for what was offered. $90 + tx/tip.  I felt it was a $75 dinner. I know food prices along with everything else has taken a hike but I always look at the quality, quantity for the dollar amount.  One thing that has not changed at the restaurant in all these years is the quality of the glasses. They may be large format but they are thick glass. One glass for white to start with and then they bring the red glass at the start of the 3rd course. No chance to keep several wines in front of you to taste with different dishes although I did manage to keep a bit of white white.  The winery was represented by Francesco Riviera. Personable man, heavy Italian accent and a great laugh.

We started out with Olive Orcchetti Pasta Salad which was excellent. Paired with a 2018 San Felice Ancherona, Maremma, Tuscany Chardonnay $18.  Crisp clean wine and went well with the pasta.

Second course is Crab Filled Arranchini in a light red sauce. Large portions and good quality. A 2019 San Felice, Maremma, Tuscany, Vermentino, $18,  was the wine selection. A nice, clean, semi tart wine.

Next was a Filet di Pomodora, Four Cheese Ravioli, very small diced fresh tomatoes and shaved Parmesan.I did scrape the tomatoes off because of the high acidity, which is not my friend. Pasta had good flavor. But this is the third pasta / rice dish and I am filling up. Wine paired is a 2015 San Felice Gran Selezione Il Grigo, Chianti, Tuscany $42.  80% Sangiovese grape and 20% indigenous grapes. Those were what I was interested in.  I did pick up 2 new grape varietals, Mazzese and Pugnitello.  I was not a big fan of this wine.  I did find it flat and dry. Might improve with a few more years cellaring.  I did have a bit of Vermentino left and I found that it went well with the tomatoless pasta. 

Main course is Roasted Italian Beef on a bed of garlic mashed potatoes and Au Jus. I did not have one bite of this dish because I just could not eat anymore. Had it boxed up to take home. It looked like a cheaper cut of beef braised for a long time. Paired with 2018 San Felice Bell'Aja, Bolgheri, Tuscany, $32. A blend of Cabernet and Merlot. This was a good wine

Dessert is a Chocolate Armaretto, Panna Cotta with Chocolate Frangelico Sauce.  Had a few bites. Very good but boxed it to take home. I just cannot put in a another bite of food. The wine selection was a 2015 San Felice Brunello Di Montalcino Campogiovanni, Montalcino, Tuscany, $56.. Very good Brunello. Although I felt a big too big for the dessert.

A good dinner, bit overpriced, no acoustics to  soften sound, otherwise it was noisy. But a good time with my dining companions.  Glad to see restaurants start up with the wine dinners again.

 


 

No comments: