Monday, May 10, 2021

Margies Monthly Dinner at Derricks on Atlantic

 Saturday, May 8, 2021


15 of us tonight for indoor patio dining at Derricks BBQ. www. derricksonatlantic.com. First time at this particular restaurant and I will probably never go back. I doubt if they last until the end of the year.  Our group was the only people tonight. There was maybe 10 take out orders in a 4 hour period. One cook in the kitchen and one waitstaff. People at one end of the row of tables were almost finished before the people at the other end got their plates. Food very slow coming out of the kitchen. 

Large , interesting menu. Texas style BBQ which is dry rubbed. You add your sauce as you eat. I have relatives in Texas and have had Texas style BBQ before.  Menu looked very good. Maybe some of the other dishes were good but I was not happy with my selection.  I ordered a sampler plate. Out of 5 items I choose 3. Pork Ribs, Brisket and Tri Tip.  My sides were collard greens and bourbon glazed carrots. I will say the sides were very good. My ribs were a bit on the dry side. Not overly.  The Tri Tip was way over cooked. It even looked dry on the plate.  The brisket was cooked decent but lacked flavor.  They gave us small plastic cups with the BBQ sauce in them, Maybe a tablespoon of sauce in each cup. I realize with Covid restrictions they could not put  out bottles of sauce on the table but what is wrong with using a dish like the sides came in for sauce and have it on the plate.  When I reheated the meat the next day at home for dinner I slathered BBQ sauce all over the meat. Made it palatable but it was still dry.  Person next to me order the same sampler plate but got the Tri Tip, which was dry like mine,  Pulled Pork and Meaty Beef Rib. Rib was not meaty. Pulled Pork was good. Such a hit and miss. 

The wines tonight were an interesting collection. I will say I thought they were a better selection than at past dinners.  I know everyone's palate is different but I sometimes wonder why certain people have to bring such mediocre wines. I am surmising that they have mediocre palates. Of course that is what they might think of me. 

I brought a 2011 Stolpman, Santa Yenez Valley LaCroce which is a blend of Sangiovese and Syrah. This is my favorite wine that Stolpman makes. But I was a bit disappointed in tonight's wine. Maybe bottle variation. I have several more bottles. I will try another one in a month or so to check it out.  Good and drinkable but lacked the punch  I expected. I just couldn't get the nuances out of it. Perhaps a bit over the hill but I have had older LaCroce's before and they have been outstanding. 

2015 Brutaco Coro, Medocino Red Blend - good

2014 Tobin James, Paso Robles, 5 Varietal, Red Blend - good

2011 Windsor Oaks, Chalk Hill. Mountain Cuvee, Red Blend - very good

2006 Lancaster Estate, Sophia's Hillside Cuvee, Red Blend - Excellent

2017 Rock Wall, Napa, Henory Vineyard, Block 29, Zinfandel - good

2016 Occidental Road Cellars, RRV, Horseshoe Bend Vineyards, Syrah - did not taste

2017 McClain, Lodi, Dream Keeper, Sparkling - Interesting. sweet on front palate but more citrusy on back palate

2017 Selbach Oster Zeltinger Sonnenuhr. Mosel, Germany, Riesling. Kabinett - did not taste

2015 Pomar Junction, Paso Robles, El Pomar District, Reserve Zinfandel - did not taste

NV Domaine Carneros by Tattinger, Brut Rose -nice and refreshing

2016 Rombauer, Sierra Foothills, El Dorado Vineyards, Twin Rivers Single Vineyard Zinfandel - did not taste

2019 Rombauer, Sauvignon Blanc - did not taste

2019 Curran, Santa Barbara County, Grenache Blanc - always good

2015 Saddleback, Napa, Cabernet Sauvignon - did not taste

2009 Domaine Rouge-Bleu Mistral, France, Cotes du Rhone - very good after sitting for over an hour to open up more

2018 Castoro Cellars,  Paso Robles, Whole Rock Vineyards, Temparnillo - did not taste




No comments: