Friday, March 19, 2021

Margie's Monthly Dinner at Kings Fish House

Saturday, March 13, 2021

Back to being able to have outdoor dining for a couple of months now.  Tonight's dinner is at Kings Fish House in Huntington Beach.  Outdoor, open patio area. A bit cool and breezy. I was hoping we would be seated under the awning. Guess with 12 people you can't be too choosy. But I found the tables to be a bit on the small size for all of our wine glasses, bottles etc.,  Had to be careful maneuvering things around.

I started out with 1/2 dozen Oysters. None that I recall having before.  One each of Night Tide, Oishi, Baywater Sweet, James River, Rappahannock and Riptide. Most were on the medium to large size and all had nice salinity to them.

Main dish was grilled Chilean Sea Bass with grilled zucchini and glazed carrots. Fish cooked perfectly and the vegetables were on the crisp side which I like.

Had Creme Brulee for dessert. I did not have any of the bread,  rolls or starches so I could treat myself. 

A large assortment of wines brought tonight. Lots of whites but some varietals I wasn't too sure about with Seafood. Most I did not taste as the varietals were not to my palate.

2018 Hook or Crook, Lodi, Field Blend. and a Cava from Spain, Campo Viejo. The Cava I had a few weeks back at a dinner. A person at out table had found it at Costco. I liked it so went looking.  When I was in the store I stumbled across the Hook or Crook. Great price, bought one bottle to try. Went back a few days later on bought a case. Both bottles had a $5 off  promo going. So at $6 for each it was the bargain of the month.  You can stumble across a deal once in awhile. 

2015 Iron Horse, Ocean Breeze, Blanc de Blanc - nice wine, went well with the oysters as did the Cava

2020 Akash Winery, Parley Vous Rose - OK just not my style of Rose

2017 Brooks Cahiers, Pinot Noir, - nice, light, cool climate wine.

2018 Brander,  Sauvignon Blanc - did not taste

2018 Titus, Sauvignon Blanc - did not taste

2018 Carol Shelton, Coquille Blanc, a white Rhone grapes blend - did taste but not my style at all

Lason , Black Label, Brut Champagne - I cannot remember tasting this wine.

Rombauer, Proprietors Select, Chardonnay - did not taste

2014 Sea Smoke, Ten, Pinot Noir - OK wine but not impressed. I think Sea Smoke is a very overrated wine for the price

2017 Foley, Chardonnay - did not taste

2020, Nebbiolo,   home made wine and it was decent

2016 Steinbeck, Viognier - did not taste

2017 Shed Horn, Zinfandel - did not taste

Blandy's 10 year old Maderia - nice touch to end of meal

No comments: