Sunday, September 8, 2019

Wine dinner at New Moon

Saturday, September 7, 2019

Margie chose the New Moon Chinese restaurant in Buena Park as Septembers selection for her monthly wine dinner.   We were here for the first time last year. I was not impressed last year and even less impressed this year. Several people were raving about the food but for my taste I found it mediocre. Of course the price was low, $26 per person and that included tax and tip, They did not charge us corkage fee. Dinner was about an hour late getting started as we were waiting for two people who were running late.

This restaurant is right next to Portos Bakery so I had time after dinner to get a few goodies.

Started out with Cha Shu, which is BBQ pork. To me it was dry and tough. Then onto a Chinese chicken salad. This was OK but bland.

Shrimp with candied glazed walnuts in a white sauce. Have no idea where the white sauce was. This dish was also OK but that was it.  OK.  I have had so much better.

Mongolian Beef - a dish I never order. I associate it with Chinese fast food and I find it very unappealing in looks and flavor.

Braised green beans. Nothing wrong with these. Could have used some garlic but they did have decent flavor.

Sliced chicken with sweet basil and snow peas. I am not a basil fan so I picked it out. Snow peas were good.  Chicken was dry.

Vegetable fried rice - no way can you make this dish bad unless you burn it.

For dessert they served a Chocolate dipped fortune cookie and Margie had brought a box of Godiva chocolates.

A real mixed selection of wines tonight. I tasted a few. With wines on two dining tables and a back table it is inconvenient for me to get up and down to pour the wines.

2016 Buscador, Santa Ynez Valley, Grenache Rose, I brought this wine. I prefer my Rose's to have some body instead of being a wimpy strawberry flavored liquid.

2014 Huber, Sta Rita Hills, "Hafen" a port style Dornfelder

2016 Kremser Goldberg Privat, Gruner Veltliner - good

2016 The Hilt, The Vanguard, Pinot Noir - nice medium bodied wine

2016 Schrumsberg, Brut Rose - always good sparkling

2014 Longoria, Sta Rita Hills, Blanc de Blanc, extra brut sparking - I did like this wine, nice and dry

2017 J & A Family  Wines, Trisaetum, Coastal Range Estate, dry Riesling -  nice

2016 Sea Smoke. Sta Rita Hills, Ten, Pinot Noir - typical Sea Smoke, big and in your face pinot

2017 Kudos, Willamette Valley, Riesling - did not taste

2016 Schrumsberg Brut Rose - two people listed this wine  - not sure if there was one or two bottles

Buttonwood, Rose of Syrah - did not taste

2016 Imagine, Merlot - had a small taste. I am not a Merlot fan

2013 Dragonette, Santa Ynez Valley, John Sebastiani Vineyard, Grenache - did not taste

2017 Larner, Ballard Canyon, Rose (Syrah, Grenache & Mouvedre) - did not taste

No comments: