Thursday, May 23, 2019

Road Trip to Lompoc and the Sta Rita Wine Trail

Saturday, May 18 to Monday, May 20, 2019

First tasting was scheduled for 11:00 AM on Saturday. Left the Casa about 7:30 and arrived in Buellton at 10:10. Good driving conditions and averaged 40 MPH. Met the group at Ken Brown private tasting room at 11:00.

Ken Brown was our host and we tasted numerous wines. Do like his wines. Had a nice "lecture" from the man himself.  Bought a couple of bottles of his 2014 Radian Pinot Noir.

Leaving Ken Brown the group headed for Pence Winery which I refuse to set on his property. So headed off to Solvang to the Jules Haus to check on Christmas ornaments.  Had lunch at Osteria Grappolo which has been opened for about 2 weeks. Their larger restaurant is in Santa Ynez. Ordered a Risotto al Ragu which was excellent.  But the portion was huge. I made the suggestion that they serve a smaller version for lunch.

Our last tasting of the day was scheduled at Spear Winery. Had a wine dinner two weeks ago at Bacchus in Pasadena so I was familiar with their wines. Open for appointments only. Beautiful building made from reclaimed barnwood.  I was a bit early but they let me in. While waiting for the limo to arrive with the rest of the group I chatted with Kat Galaway, the winemaker for awhile. Good tasting, beautiful surroundings and great views out the massive windows. Bought a couple of bottles of their Gruner Veltliner.

After leaving Spear I checked in at the O'Carins Inn in Lompoc and got ready for dinner. Dinner tonight is at the "Eatery" at the Hilton Garden Inn in Lompoc. We had a private room off the side which I was thankful for. The restaurant was extremely noisy. Seems to be a popular hangout for the young locals.  Menu was interesting for a hotel. Laid back, burgers, sandwiches, tacos.  I ordered the Jalapeno goat cheese grilled sandwich and Chicken Tortilla soup. Both were good

Up bright and early on Sunday morning. Had breakfast at the hotel and then off the Longoria for our first tasting. Rick was our host for awhile then turned the actual pouring of his wines over to staff. 6 wines and then they threw in an extra. I purchased a "mini" flight of his Blues Cuvee which was supposed to be a 14, 15 & 16. When I unpacked at home there were two 16's and no 15. Mistake on their part but an irritant to me. Don't live close enough to take it back and exchange it. But I will send an e-mail to let them know. Also bought  a couple of his sparkling. Made one year and will not be made again. Too bad because I really like it. Rick said it was too labor intensive. 

The nest tasting on Sunday was at LaMontagne in the Wine Ghetto. Tasted 11 wines today. Did buy 3  Pinots / This is where we had lunch. Pizza was brought in. After leaving LaMontagne the group headed back to the hotel and I went to find Morretti. They moved from their location. Found them back in the Ghetto.  Vince told me they would be moving again in July to Los Olivos. Indicated that the city of Lompoc was not supportive of the wineries. 

Dinner tonight is at the Scratch Kitchen in Lompoc. Have eaten there before and food is good. Ordered the Hailbut, ate one small side of it and had them box it up for me. I am still stuffed from lunch.  Way to much food today.

Monday I had breakfast at the hotel and got on the road about 8:30. Need to stop in Newbury Park to visit Norman and Traudl before going home.   Traudl gave me several cuttings form her Orchid Cactus plants so I will try and start them at home. Problem is they should not be in direct sun and my balcony is. Will have to try and figure a way to shade them.

Got home about 3:30. Averaged 37 MPH coming home.  Nice trip but I was really tired by time I got home. Age is catching up with me. Will have to really consider if I want to do Wine & Fire this year.


No comments: