Tuesday, February 26, 2019

Ken Brown and his wines at the Enology Club

Friday, February 22, 2019

I was invited by one of the members of the Space Park Enology Club to attend the Ken Brown tasting at their monthly event at the Crowne Plaza  Hotel in Redondo Beach.  I know a lot of people who are members but this was the first invite I was offered.  Love Ken's wines so I felt this was a good opportunity for me and the man himself was in attendance.

Tables of eight  were set up, open seating. There were six of us tonight.  I was a bit disappointed in the stemware. Cheap restaurant style glasses. I was very surprised about this. If I had known this I would have brought my own glasses. I did notice that several people did this.  

A large platter of cheeses and fruits were set down along with a tray of bread and crackers. A nice assortment.

Ten wines tonight. For my palate I was taken with the La Encantada Pinot Noir. They did take a vote an the most popular wine was the Rita;s Crown Pinot Noir. I found all the chardonnays had just a bit too much  of an oaky taste for me but paired with cheeses they were winners. The Syrah's were all jammy and fruity.

Wines were heavily discounted tonight but shipping was ridiculously high. Ken did offer to store the wines for 60 days for pick up. Alas it will be 90 days before I am in the area.

2017 Rose of Grenache
2015 LaRiconada Vineyard, Chardonnay
2016 Santa Rita Hills Blend, Chardonnay
2015 Rita's Crown Vineyard,  Chardonnay
2015 Santa Rita Hills Blend, Pinot Noir
2015 LaEncantada Vineyard, Picot Noir
2015 Rita's Crown Vineyard, Pinot Noir
2014 "A" Cuvee, Syrah
2014 Watch Hill Vineyard, Syrah
2014 Thompson Vineyard, Syrah


No comments: