Monday, July 16, 2018

Margie's Monthly Dinner at Picarelli's

Saturday, July 14, 2018

This month Margie chose Picarelli's Cucina Italiana,     www.picarellis.com,     for our monthly dinner.  Weather has been warm but today was great. We had 16 people today and sat on the outside patio. Lots of umbrella's for shade. Picarelli's does offer free Uber rides home if you live within 5 miles. Nice touch

A very diverse menu and a bit of everything seemed to have been ordered.  I started out with the tomato basil soup which was refreshing. It was slightly warm but that made the freshness of the tomatoes stand out. I do not eat raw tomatoes by like them cooked. A touch of grated Parmesan on top was a nice added touch.

My main course was grilled lamb chops with roasted potatoes and mixed summer vegetables. I was given 5 chops, and asked for them medium rare. They turned out medium well.  I would have preferred 2 thick chops that could have been cooked properly. They did have good flavor but had to much grizzle in them. Made them difficult to cut. Not the best showing. In retrospect I should have ordered the scallops.

Had a very nice cannelloni for desert but should have ordered the tiramisu.

Basket of bread was put on each table ( 2 tables of 8) along with butter and olive tapenade. Never saw it after the waiter set it down. Apparently it was sent down to  the other end of the table for the duration. Probably best so I didn't  O'ded on it. People did me a favor my hoarding it.

But my entire day has been screwed up. From timing, having to backtrack and leaving one of my wine glasses at the restaurant.. And I can't blame Mercury being in retrograde because that doesn't happen until the 26th.

Wines were a strange assortment. Some peoples selections I could not understand.  I brought a 2012 Clos Pepe, Sta. Rita Hills, Sparking Brut Pinot Rose.  It was bad. Had to dump it. My other wine was a 2009 Roar, Santa Lucia Highlands, Garys Vineyard, Pinot Noir. Spot on, well balanced soft tannins, nice restrained cherry/berry fruit. Beautiful wine.

 Other wines brought were:
2013 Basalt, Columbia Valley, GSM - went very well with the lamb chops
2014 Tobin James, Paso Robles, Reserve Port - always a good choice for after dinner
2009 Tablas Creek, Paso Robles, Roussanne - did not taste but then I am not fond of most white Rhone grapes wine
2009 Gushon Bachus Zephyus, Zinfandel - did not taste
2017 Chroma Vera, San Luis Obispo, Albarino - this was a nice wine
2014 Abacela, Roseburg, Oregon, Dolcetto - did not taste
2016 Anthill Farms, Tina Marie, Russian River Valley, Pinot Noir - did not taste
2016 Weingtut Sprehzer4, Riesling - did not taste
NV Graham Beck, Brut Rose - this is always good
2015 Talley, Edna Valley, Pinot Noir - did not taste
2015 Chateauneuf-du-pape - did not taste
2017 DiBruno, Santa Barbara County, Pinot Grigio - did not taste
2014 Abacela, Fiesta Albarino - nice wine
Bellissimma Prosecco DOC Brut - nice sparking
2013 Carpineto, Classico Riserva, Chianti - did not taste
2016 Paco & Lola, Rias Baixis, Albarino - did not taste
NV Roederer Estate, Anderson Valley, Brut Rose - again always a good choice

No comments: