Tuesday, April 10, 2018

April's Dinner at Prime Cut

Saturday, April 7, 2018

Margie's selection for dinner this month is Prime Cut in Orange. www.primecutcafe.com.  It has been a few years since we have been here.  The private room is small so only 13 of us tonight. 

Most ordered some type of steak or prime rib. I had the Australian Sea Bass.   I will say I was slightly disappointed in the dish. I felt the fish had been overcooked, the mashed potatoes had  no flavor. Just didn't quite make the grade. I have had fish here before and it was never a problem.  The Tomato Basil Cream soup was a hit. Full of flavor and the right consistency.  Almost wish I had order a meat dish.

A really mixed bag of wines tonight.  A Jeroboam of a 21012 Brutocao, Mendocino, Cabernet Sauvignon was brought.  A Jeroboam is equal to 4 bottles.  This bottle was not close to being ready to drink. Give it at least 4 to 5 more years. I drank mostly sparklings and white wines because of having fish. Drank my Pinot Noir and had a couple of taste of a few other reds. I can say I wasn't really overwhelmed with the quality of wines. Could have been my personal taste buds.

I brought a pair of Clos Pepe, Sta. Rita Hills wines. A 2011 Estate Pinot Noir and a 2012 HTC Chardonnay. No oak in the chard. Both were drinking nicely

Other wines on the table were:

2013 Iron Horse, Sonoma, Vintage Brut - nice sparkling but a bit acidic

2015 Turley, Napa, Cabernet Sauvignon - did not taste

2014 Merry Edwards, Olivet Lane, RRV, Chardonnay - clean, nice drinking

2014 Soda Rock, Chalkhill, Primitivo - did not taste

2014 Weins, Temecula Valley, Reserve, Cabernet Franc - did not taste

2015 Markham, Napa Valley, Merlot - did not taste

2014 Robert Hall, Paso Robles, Cabernet Sauvignon - did not taste

2013 Tablas Creek, Paso Robles, Panoplie - did not taste

2014 Chateau de Chantegrive, France - not impressed

2015 Fesstivity, Sta Rita Hills, Brut Cuvee -  a nice sparkling

2015 Talley, Edna Valley, Olivers Vineyard, Chardonnay - a bit oaky for my taste

2014 Addendum, Napa Valley, Cabernet Sauvignon - did not taste


No comments: