Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Dinner at Delius

Saturday, January 27, 2018

Sold out tonight for the Prix Fixe dinner at Delius.  www.deliusrestaurant.com  Had not done a prix fixe in many months.  Was not thrilled with the chef at that time.  A new "chef de cuisine"  has been hired. Time to try it out again. 

Ordered a bottle of bubbly to share. It was cheaper than ordering 4 glasses of bubbly.

We started out with a Double Baked Goat Cheese Souffle with Melted Leek Sauce. Very good. I could  have eaten two of them easily.  Wine paired with this dish was a 2016 Linen, Walla Walla, WA, Sauvignon Blanc. I did like this wine. Not to acidic as most sau blancs are.  None of us had heard of any of the wines being poured tonight.

Second course was a Roasted Curried Cauliflower Soup with Spiced Croutons. Nice flavor but would have liked just a bit more spice to it.  Paired with a 2015 Sean Minor , Central Coast, Chardonnay. This wine I was not a big fan of. It wasn't that oaky but it just had a strange taste to me. Let others at the table have the wine. It just was not my style of wine. Others at the table liked it. 

The absolute worse wine I have tasted was poured. A 2015 Locations, France, Rose. How this got to the dinner I will never understand.  After researching this wine I found out the owner winemaker is Dave Phinney. I had had his wines before an they were good.  But this Rose did not make the cut.  Paired with a White Fish Tagine and Roasted Purple Potatoes. Flavorful and good.  Others felt it needed more of a sauce on it.

Main course is a Beef Wellington, Parsnip and Potato Puree, Wild Mushroom and Thyme Ragout.  My meat was cooked perfectly. Dish had overall good flavor although I felt it needed a bit of salt. A 2015 Rose and Son, California, Red Blend was the wine selection. Went ok with the meat. Found out that this wine is made by Coquelicot which I am not a fan of.

Dessert was odd.  Chocolate Financier Cake with Spiced Apple Butter and Cardamom, Pear Sorbet. The sorbet was a bit grainy, like the pears were not pureed enough or perhaps it was meant to be that way. Flavor was good bit an odd sensation in the mouth. I found the cake a bit on the dry side by itself. It needed the apple butter and sorbet to help.

Greg ordered a port for the finale. Topped off the dinner nicely. Food was good but not up to what I have had at Delius in the past. . As I understand the recipes were Executive Chefs and she helped with the start the dinner.

No comments: