Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Festival of Autumn Harvest at Franco's

Tuesday, November 3, 2015

This was the 4th wine dinner at Franco's, www.francositalianrestaurant.com, So looking forward to it and so disappointed. Last week it was announced that live music would be provided.  I am not a fan of live music with dinner. I want food and conversation. No way do I want to have to stop talking or eating to applaud some entertainer. To me that is what bars and lounges are for. Plus the db level. I will say that the group that played was very good, not overly loud but Franco's is such a small place that even normal conversations are too loud. We were seated right below a speaker so that did not help the situation.

All wines tonight are private labels. Susan was pushing the private label bit for the holidays. Buy a case with your own "label" for the holidays. Not my thing.

First course was a Zuppa di Zuppa con Gruviera.  Roasted Pumpkin, Gruyere Cheese, Carrots, Onions Leeks,and Pumpkin Seeds. Excellent. By far the best dish of the day. This dish was worth the aggravation of the evening. They poured a "Franco's", Pinot Noir from Italy. Decent wine, not great but drinkable. Generous pours. I had to stop them pouring a full glass after the third one.

Second course served was another winner. Insalata di Barnanietole Arrosto. Endive Lettuce, Roasted Beets, Tarragon Vinaigrette. Very good. But the wine was another thing.  "Franco's" Chardonnay (Lodi). Weak, slightly oaked. Left most of in the glass. Not worth the effort.

Entree was a Filetto Mignon a la Rossini. Filet Mignon, Crouton, Pate, Truffles, Demi-Glaze. The piece of meat was set on the crouton with the pate on top of the meat. Small pieces of truffle could be tasted. Demi-Glaze was very good and had lots of flavor. Unfortunately the steak was close to being well done, which makes it almost dry and no flavor. What a huge disappointment. I did see several other steaks that looked like they were medium well but not in my case. I am a "rare" steak person and I just could not get over the disappointment of the meat. There were glazed carrots, green beans and roasted potatoes on the plate.  Wine paired with this dish was a "Franco's" Old Vine Zinfandel (Lodi). Again a decent wine, fruit forward but lacking in any complexity and layers.

Dessert is a Tortino di Mele. Tart Apples, Cinnamon, Sugar, Caramel and Vanilla Ice Cream. Good flavor but my apple was almost burned around the edge. It was a simple dessert but good. But nothing special to get excited about. The wine was a "Franco's" Sparkling Moscato (Lodi). Tasted like 7-UP.

There was a bottle of Franco's" Syrah (Lodi) opened. I had a small taste and that was enough for me. Very mediocre.  So of all the wines the Pinot was the best but even it was not that good. I guess Terry and I were in the minority because the other diners were raving about the food and wine. So disappointed in tonight's dinner and wines. The last 3 dinners have been great and even the wines , all from Italy, were good even if they were not expensive. They were great food wines.

No comments: