Sunday, August 10, 2014

555 Steak House

Saturday, August 09, 2014

12 gathered tonight for dinner at 555 in Long Beach for Margie's Monthly Fun Wine Activity.  She goes to a lot of trouble to get these organized every month. It is appreciated at least by me. 

555 is one of the best chop houses around. We were seated in a private dining area which is much quieter than the open restaurant.

Most everyone  ordered steak but I did see salmon and lamb chops in front of people. Everyone had good things to say about their dinners. I had a petite filet oscar and it was cooked to perfection. Margie brought gourmet cupcakes for dessert but I ordered a creme brulee. Those cupcakes are way too sweet for me. I have never been a cupcake fan and it takes a real special cake for me to like it.

Margie had asked everyone to go deep into their cellars for "fine" wine tonight. Some did, some did not. 2011 & 2012 is not deep. I kept mine in the middle because when I saw the list of people attending, I knew what quality of wine they would bring. I am not wasting my really good stuff on them, I did bring three bottles, a red, a sparkling and a port. Maybe that's a negative to feel that way but that is me. I will save my better stuff for a dinner of 8 or less and for people that bring equal.

The 1999 Opus, the 2013 Dom Perignon, 2003 Stags Leap Winery, Fay, Cabernet were the hits of the  evening.

Other wines brought were 2008 Chateau Margene Meritage, 2007 Denner Mouvedre, 2011 Grassini Blend, D66 Grenache, Roderer bubbly, 2009 La Vie Late Harvest Riesling, 1992 Quinta Infantado Porto, 2011 Grey Wolf, Alpha Cab, 2012 Grey Wolf, The Big Bad Wolf, Zinfandel, 2011 Williams Selyem Olivet Lane Chardonnay, 2006 Kistler Elizabeth Cuvee Pinot Noir, 2010 TF, Oak Knoll, Cabernet, 2008 Huber Dornfelder Port and a Palmina Luminesse bubbly.

A good selection of wines but some were not what I would expect for this dinner. But it was a good dinner with good people and a really good time was had by all.

No comments: