Friday, February 14, 2014

Wino's Gathering

Sunday, February 9, 2014

First gathering of the winos this year. Held at my "Casa". My theme was "as always", Wines Rated 93 to 100. When it was themed 92 & above I would get a lot of wines rated 92, since I have changed it to 93 & above I get a lot of wines rated 93. It's like they try to take the path of least resistance in looking for wine. Maybe I should push and go for the 94 & above next year.

Weather cooperated. Cool so we could keep the wines outside and save my carpet.

made Penne with Meat Sauce this year - decided to go the easy route. My age is starting to catch up with me. There seemed to be a big run on pies and cookies for dessert this year. Had to laugh, when I got one of the pies that was brought out of the refrigerator and opened the box and huge slice was already gone. It didn't happened before dinner so whomever brought it must have been hungry on the way over. Personally I thought it was very tacky and I remember who brought it.

Our oldest wine that was brought today was a 1994 Opus One. It was slightly over the hill but still had color and fruit. The taste was fine. It was an example of on interesting old wine. A 1998 Chateau St Jean Cinq Cepages was opened also. That wine I was disappointed in. But there were several wines in the 2004 to 2010 years that weren't much better either. At least for my taste. Even the wine I opened, 2007 Sinor-LaValle, Talley-Ricon, Pinot Noir was disappointing at first. In fact Monday it tasted much better

The nice thing about hosting is you get to keep all the leftover wine. So many of them tasted better on Monday after sitting out all night.

I did enjoy the 2009 Jean Marie Arnoux st Fils, Vacqueras Rhone wine and the 2010 Domaine Serene Evenstan Reserve Pinot Noir very much. the 2007 P2, Cargassacchi Jalama Vineyards, Pinot Noir was really good. .

So the Wino's tasting season has officially opened for 2014. Off the Stan's next month for California Rhones and Rhone Blends

No comments: