Sunday, January 19, 2014

555 East

Saturday, January 18, 2014

Margie arranged for 18 of us to have dinner in the cellar room at 555 East in Long Beach. Known for their prime steaks. There was one no show which was extremely rude to not let anyone know. There were people that wanted to attend but could not because of the limit on seating.

16 people ordered steak or prime rib and one ordered lobster. All were really pleased with their selections. I had the Kansas City Strip steak which is one of most flavorful cuts of beef. It was cooked perfectly. Instead of potatoes I had the sauteed spinach and the buttered mushrooms. Let the bread alone also. But I did break the rule and had creme brulee for dessert. 

Margie had put a Godiva chocolate bar at each persons setting as a gift from the hostess which was a very nice gesture for her to do and at the end of the meal passed around a box of chocolates. I did not have any chocolate because at this stage right after the holidays I am chocolated out.

I did not get around to tasting all of the wines. With that many wines on the table it ends up being a picking and choosing. I am sure I missed a few good ones but I did drink some good ones also. Someone brought 2 bottles of Sea Smoke's sparkling wine. I  passed on buying this when it was offered to me and I will say I am sure glad I did. I was not impressed at all. Found it very weak without much going for it. For me I would have felt that I threw my money away if I had bought it.

2006 Clos Pepe VS Pinot Noir. Sta Rita Hills
NV   Caraccioli Brut Cuvee (Chardonnay), Santa Lucia Highlands
2003 Serpico Irpina Aqliliano, Deifeuida Disan, Italy
2007 Williams Selyem Papera Vineyard, Zinfandel
2006 Cinquain Cellars Reserve Meritage, Paso Robles
2011 Denner, The Dirt Worshipper, Central Coast
2008 Cinquain Cellars, Nagengast Estate Vineyards, Syrah, Paso Robles
2009 Bevan Cellars, Showket Vineyards, (Napa ?)  Caberent Sauvignon
2006 Pahlmeyer, Red Wine, Oakville
2010 Peter Michael 'Lapres Midi
2010 Caymus Special Selecxtion, Caberent Sauvignon
1999 Chimney Rock Elevabe
2011 DuMol , Chloe Vineyard, Chardonnay, Russian River Valley
2010 Sanford, Sanford & Benedict Vineyard, Pinot Noir, Sta Rita Hills
2009 Lorenzi Estate, Adam & Eve Reserve (Cucamonga ??)
NV   Lorenzi Estate, Bacia. Zinfandel Dessert Wine
2009 Saxum, James Berry Vineyard, Paso Robles, (Magnum)

No comments: