Sunday, June 9, 2013

Malbec Tasting and Raymonds Bristro

Saturday, June 8, 2013

This was Margie's Monthly Wine Activity day and we started out at Total Wine for a two hour  Malbec Seminar which turned out to include several other varietals from South America. The instructor Mark was new to us and he turned out to be very good.  I did learn a couple of things about tasting that I did not know. Always sniff the back of your hand to neutralize and smells before you smell you wine. And it did work. We had a total of 9 wines and all were good.  Ranged in price from $12 to $25 with a 10% off for a mix of 6. I held my own and did not buy any but it was hard. I am in the drink some of my wine mode and need to get my cellar down to a reasonable number of bottles. 550  is way too much and I have a hard time keeping track even with a spread sheet.

After the seminar was over we headed a short distance to Raymonds Bristo on Warner near Gothard. www.raymondsbistro@gmail.com, , Again in a small strip mall with ample parking. Since the place was very small they took the tables and ran them down the middle of the room. Made for a very narrow table and with the 14 bottles of wine and all the glasses there really was not much room for food. But we did manage.

A variety of foods were ordered, from steak, seafood to pasta. I had the double pork chop,  which was cooked perfectly. Moist and tender, Served with an apple chutney, potatoes and vegetable. The entrees also came with a choice of soup or salad. I choose the mushroom soup which was excellent. This dish was priced at $18 which I felt was very reasonable. Everyone seemed to happy with their choices as I heard no complaints. Someone ordered a tiamisu for dessert and passed it around, It was very good.

Jan brought her laptop and gave us a slide show of 80 of the 2000 pictures she and Bob  took on their trip to Argentina and Chile

The  wines were numerous and a wide variety. Some I did not get to taste but what I did taste were all good.

NV Bivio Proseco, Italy
NV Nicholas Feuillatte, Brut, France (always good, the champagne of Air France)
2005 Testarossa, Bien Nacido, Pinot Noir (excellent)
2007 PZ  ????? (su raine)  cannot read what someone wrote on the list
2010 EOS, Roussane, Paso Robles
2010 Young's Sangiovese, Shenandoah Valley
2012 Halter Ranch, Sauvignon Blanc,. Paso Robles
2007 Badge, Pinot Noir (may be Sta Rita Hills)
2008 McKeon-Phillips Malbec Reserve, Paso Robles
2009 Halter Ranch, Ancestor, Estate Reserve, Paso Robles
2011 ?????  Grenache Blanc, Santa Ynez (no winery listed)
2010 Clos Pepe Estate, Pinot Noir, Sta Rita Hills
2010 Famille Perrin, Cotes du Rhone, Reserve, France
2007 P2, Aubaine Vineyards, Edna Valley

No comments: