Sunday, November 15, 2009

November's Wine & Dine

Saturday, November 14, 2009

Tonite the "Wine & Dine" group met at my favorite Chinese restaurant - Doung Son in "Little Saigon". 16 of us attended this dinner.

Since CJ keeps a list of the wines brought, I just list the food. I did bring a 2005 Clos Pepe Pinot Noir. I just grabbed a bottle off the rack and did not notice that is was the "VS" which is more expensive that the Estate. The wine was really a treat even though it was a mistake on my part and those of us that got to taste it were glad. The wine did not make it to the other table, That is their loss.

For some reason tonight there was an over abundance of white wines. Seems people think that whites go better with Chinese food but in the case of Doung Son it is just the opposite with most of the food dishes. The whites were fine with the lobster and the sea bass but so were the Pinots.

First up was a plate of freshly made "Shrimp Chips". The Chinese potato chip.

Roasted duck Cantonese style was served. The first time we have had it this was. Very good. Nice "jus" with it.

Lobster was put on the table. They take the whole lobster and hack it up into many pieces and stir fry it in a wok with scallions and ginger. It makes it's own sauce. They served it with the soft noddles that the lobster had been sitting on and the juices saturate the noddles.

Pea Shoots were served. We had this a few months back and they are becoming a favorite.

At this point I am starting to get full but I know there are a few more things to go.

Spicy green beans with white sea bass was set down. Then came Beef Tendon with Daikon radishes. Next was the Pork ribs - there have a sauce on them that is strangely like maple syrup. Crispy and very good.

A new dish appeared. Eggplant with chicken. I did not eat any of this as I had reached the saturation point and I just am not an eggplant fan.

Last up was the fried tofu with vegetable sauce. For some reason the tofu was not as good as it usually is. It did not seem as creamy. I ate 1 small piece. A bit disappointing.

Dessert was melon with leeche nut and grapes.

No comments: