Saturday, October 10, 2009

Chinese Again

Saturday, October 3, 2009

We made another trip to Doung Son in "Little Saigon" in Westminister. Since I did not take any notes with this dinner I am going by my memory. The food I remember the wine I am very sketchy on.

"Garlic Prawns" - very large prawns split in half an cooked with a heavy duty garlic sauce. As always, very good.

Duck Two Ways - Roast duck with "pillows" for peking duck and then mixed with rice noddles and other mysterious ingredients and wrapped in lettuce leaves.

Fred Tofu with a vegetable sauce.

Chow Mein - a new dish for me. Nancy requested a dish with "crisp noodles". It was interesting, had a sauce with mushrooms on it. I would eat it if it was ordered again but I would not specifically ask for it.

Sauteed baby pea shoots. We had this at the last dinner and this dish I did ask for. Very light delicate taste.

Beef with Chinese broccoli.

Desserts were a "seaweed" tapioca pudding, fresh cantaloupe, fresh Jack fruit and because it was the "Harvest Moon" we were served a special cake that they make only once a year for this event. It was very good.

I did bring a 2003 Sea Smoke Botella which was showing very well. There was a Silverado Cab, a Tempranillo, 2 Chardonnays, a Sauvignon Blanc, a 2007 Loring Rancho La Vina Pinot and a Ken Brown Pinot. This is all from memory so I don't remember the years or some of the labels. All the wines were good and everyone had a good time which is a "given" when we dine at Duong Son. Hopefully we will get another dinner in before the end of the year.

No comments: