Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Fund Raiser for Food Bank

Thursday, June 19, 2008

The Second Harvest Food & Wine event is held twice a year as a fundraiser for the food bank. As in the past it has been held at the Crystal Court at South Coast Plaza. They take over two floors of the mall and set up tables with food from local restaurants and wine from the vendors.

Maybe it is the economy but this year there were noticeably less vendors. I would say the participation of the restaurants was down approximately 30%, which is a large decline.

For $45 donation you get to nosh and drink wine & beer for 3 hours. I usually make it the 2 hour mark and then I have had it.

The food as usual was good. The wines were OK with a few jewels spread amongst them. But for $45 what can you expect. I have always been happy with the selection.

I did get to taste the 2006 McKeon-Phillps BPR Cabernet Sauvignon which will be released next February. So I know how my wine is coming along. I bought it on futures because the price is always right. Opolo was there also but they ran out of wine half through the event. They were a very popular table.

Next up will be the fall event in October which always seems to feature more micro breweries.

No comments: