Monday, June 25, 2007

Prelude to Dinner

Saturday, June 23, 2007

I naively thought that by leaving by 10:00 am I would be in Buellton at approximately 1:00 pm. Normally the trip takes me 2-1/4 hours to 2-1/2 hours to drive. Seeing as I would be starting a little later I thought perhaps the traffic might be a little heavier and gave myself an extra 1/2 hour to get there. Apparently someone didn't tell all the other cars on the road of my plan because it took a dive just after hitting LAX. From that point on until after Santa Barbara it was heavy stop and go all the way. 4-1/2 hours later I arrived in Buellton.

Dinner at Clos Pepe Vineyards, http://www.clospepe.com/ , was not until 7:00pm. I have been wanting to go by the Palmina Tasting room so I took 246 out of Buellton and headed for Lompoc. I found the tasting room in the "wine ghetto". Palmini, http://www.palminiwines.com/, specializes in Italian varietals and I was looking to pick up a bottle of Tocai Friulano. I wanted to add that grape varietal to my list for "The Century Club". I recommend a stop at Palmini if you are in the area. Really nice wines and very friendly people. Steve Clifton, the owner is the Clifton part of "Brewer-Clifton".

Once I had that stop out of the way I went back towards Buellton (passing Clos Pepe both ways) and headed on to Solvang. Luck was turning my way. I found a parking spot right in front of Stolpman Vineyards tasting room, http://www.stolpmanvineyards.com/,. Went in and tasted the new wines that they were pouring that day and picked up a few bottles (like I don't have enough).

Drove a few more blocks and found the tasting room for Huber wines, http://www.hubercellars.com/,. Luck was still with me as I parked right in front again. The tasting room is next to Paula's Pancake House. Its at the Olde Mission Wine Company.

I had tasted a Huber Dornfelder a few weeks ago and was really taken with it. I haven't seen a Dornfelder in many years. They were tasting the 05 Huber Chardonnay. Santa Rita Hills fruit. Everyone knows how I dislike California Chardonnays. This one I bought. It sees French Oak and it was a really nice full bodied wine. I did buy the Dornfelder, the Chardonnay and a Pinot Noir from Huber also. Again Santa Rita Hills fruit. The winemaker for Huber is Norm Yost of Flying Goat Cellars.

It was getting about time for me to check into my motel room and get ready for go back down 246 to Clos Pepe for dinner. I wanted a parking spot close to the house. I was wearing open toed shoes and the driveway is gravel. (all women can relate)

No comments: