Sunday, April 29, 2012

Arte Cafe & Domaine de Montille

Thursday, April 26, 2012

I had been looking forward to this dinner for a month and it did not disappoint. Small group, maybe 15 people, Price tag of $100 plus tax & tip keeps people away. But considering the quality of the wines it was worth it. Pours were generous. Arte Cafe can be inconsistent with its food and service. As usual they were late getting the first course out. I find it strange when you have people sitting there for a good 15 to 20 minutes why you can't have a basket of bread brought out right away. But they are not the only restaurant to fail in this manner

We started off with  a Bluepoint Oyster and a Carlsbad Oyster compliments of the restaurant. Richard also let Sam go into the cellar and pick out a champagne to go with the oysters. She brought back a  Henriot Blush Champagne. I could have made the entire meal out of oysters and champagne.

First Course: Diver Scallop on a bed of sauteed spinach with drops of Aoili and a Chili Sauce. Aoili was great but the Chili sauce really through your palate off. Fortunately I put some more Aoili in my mouth and that seemed to cut the burn. Fat always cuts heat.  Scallop was cooked perfectly, This was served with a 2009 Chateau de Puligny - Montrachet, Chassagne Monrachet. Perfect pairing.

Second Course: Seabass with Beurre Blanc Sauce over a bed of sauteed baby kale. Good dish. Wine was a 2009 Domaine de Montille Meursault, Les Dessous, Narvaux. Another very good pairing.

Third Course: Poached Salmon with Pinot Sauce over a bed of mashed peas. Paired with a 2009 Domaine de Montille Bourgogne Rouge. This wine seemed to be a big favorite and one of the reasonably priced wines.  It was very good but I did prefer the next wine overall.

I am glad portion sizes are small because I am starting to feel a little full.

Fourth Course: Duck Breast with Mushroom Diane Sauce. Falvor was good but my piece of duck breast had a bit too much fat left on it and one end was a little tough to cut.. A 2009 Domaine de Montille Beaune Premier Cru, Les Sizes was paired with the duck. Good pairing, excellent wine. I did buy a bottle of this particular wine to cellar.

Fifth Course: Filet Mignon with Bernaise Sauce. Decent piece of meat. Not prime. Sauce was ok but I think I would have preferred none. Served with asparagus and sweet potato fries. I was puzzled on this combination. Paired with 2009 Domaine de Montille Volnay Premier Cru Les Taillepieds. Very good wine.

The person next to me was served a steak that looked like it was the misshappen end on the loin. Small, strange cut. It should never have left the kitchen that way. If I had been served that I would have sent it back. I realize that restaurants need to cut some corners and watch their discards but this was beyond it. This is one of the inconsistencies of Arte Cafe. I have seen it before. Maybe they just do this on "wine dinners" but it is not right.. Another thing they lack is enough servers for a large group. This has always been a problem at Arte Cafe. A couple of people with Wine Country got up to help serve. That should not be the case. People who are first served are finished with their plate before others have been served. The peole at Arte Cafe are nice & friendly but it seems like mamagment has a slight flaw.

Dessert was a Grand Marnier Souffle. Very light and fluffy. Perfectly hot from the over. A good dish.

No comments: