Sunday, April 3, 2011

A'Roma Ristorante

Saturday, April 2, 2011 A'Roma is a new place for me. A little out of my way but less than 30 minutes drive from my house. I would guess the city would be either Cerritos or La Palma. Near the 91 freeway and Orangethorpe. The dinner was "Hook & Ladder Winery" out of the Sonoma/Russian River area. I had stopped by their winery a few years back. Good every day solid wines. Reasonably priced. Josh DeLoach the owner's son and winemaker was hosting. This used to be the DeLoach winery and some of the acreage and name was sold off. The renamed themselves "Hook & Ladder" because the founder of the winery was a fireman. There were approximately 60 people in attendance tonight. Family style seating. Bread was put on the table along with a dish of butter that had a marinara sauce in the bottom of the dish. People seemed to like it that way. I really prefer my butter "plain". I really like the taste of pure butter. Bread was good. First Course: Blackened Shrimp on a nest of Capellini pasta tossed with julienned sauteed vegetables. This had an Asian twist to it. A bit different for an Italian restaurant. People really liked this dish. I was not that big of a fan of it. It did pair very well with the 2008 Russian River Gewurztraminer. Second Course: Osso Buco Manicotti. Manicotti pasta filled with Osso Buco veal, ricotta, parmesan and braised vegetables with a avery light marinara sauce. This dish was excellent. My favorite of the evening. Paired with a 2008 Russian River Pinot Noir. Wine was too young and tight. You got a real taste of alcohol on the back palate. After taking the wine and sloshing it back and forth between two glasses it improved quite a bit. The alcohol went away and the fruit became a bit more vibrant. I still did get an oaky/tannin taste on the back palate. Main Course: Beef Short Ribs - slow cooked beef short ribs in a red wine reduction served with a creamy polenta and oven baked broccoli with pine nuts and shaved parmesan. Meat was excellent. polenta was good correct, sauce was very good. I felt the broccoli could have stayed in the oven a few minutes longer. I would have preferred a more "roasted" taste to it. The wine for this dish was the Tillerman Red Blend, Russian River Valley. This wine is their "staple" They make and sell more of this blend than any other wines in their portfolio. It has always been a nice solid wine for the price. Dessert: Panna Cotta with a strawberry/grand marnier sauce. Good flavor. A nice light ending to the meal. Pours of wine were generous. You could have seconds or even third pours if you wanted. They ave a themed wine dinner at A'Roma every few months. I would definitely go back.

No comments: