Sunday, April 15, 2007

Taste of Huntington Beach

Sunday, April 15, 2007

Went to the 7th annual "Taste of Huntington Beach" today. It was held at the Hyatt Regency Resort. Proceeds for this fund raiser go to the Huntington Beach Children's Library and the 3rd Battalion/1st Marines at Camp Pendleton. This was the first time I had attended this event so I did not what to expect, except it was food, wine and breweries.

I should have known that in "SURF CITY USA" the emphasis would not be on wine. There was Sterling, BV, Edna Valley, J Lohr and Ironstone on the top level (top level for this event) after that it was down hill. But damm, the beer was good. I was really taken with a small micro brewery in Mission Viejo area called Saddleback Brewery. Really enjoyed their liquid refreshments.

Lots of local restaurants participated and among the standouts were, Davios, Longboards, Luccis, Shades, Kabuki, Ruby Palace and Stonefire Grill. In fairness to some of the others, I did not try their offerings as I was getting to the point that if I ate another bite, I wouldn't be able to waddle back to the car.

In all there were 43 food stations, 21 wineries or distributors and 15 breweries, along the with obligatory silent auction and raffles. Not bad for $50 and a tax deduction.

What was really the most interesting observance of this event was the "people". This venue brought out the surfers, beer guzzlers, beach bimbos, chicks with tattoos and strange color hair, along with the 45+ year old babes who think that if they dress and try to look like a 20 year old , people will think that they are. They are odder than the girls with the strange color hair, tattoos and body piercings. It was quite the unique "people watching" experience. Worth the price of admission. Makes me realize how boring I must seem to others.

Next week I'm off to the land of "silcone & botox". Attending a fundraiser , "Cure for Diabetes" at the Palm Hotel in Newport Beach.

No comments: